Monday, November 30, 2009

Simplicity 3624

I absolutely love this pattern, it suits my apple shape, cleverly disguising my thick waist with long lines and a bit of ruching. I particularly like that the top is loose but there are no unexpected 'pouffes' of fabric that can sometimes make a top look and feel 'maternity'. I also like that you can heighten or lower the neckline through the centre front ruching by lengthening or shortening the front band.

This tunic length or short top has an empire waistline and centre front ruching detail with a variety of sleeve options (see the full review here). I made a size 14 with a full bust adjustment and it fit perfectly. I've recently started using the Palmer and Pletsch method to fitting patterns for a full bust and I'm very happy with the results. Their logic just makes sense to me - if you add width at the centre front to go over the bumps horizontally you also need to add length to go over them vertically!

I really love this top, it's easy to make and comfortable to wear. Although it's quite distinctive I think my wardrobe can stand it if it's made in different fabrics. I can see it as a top for work in the middle of our hot Australian summer. I plan to make the tunic length with the tiny little sleeves.

No comments:

Post a Comment